A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your marriage (the wedding officiant) you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a document that is 2-part. The top part is a Registration of Marriage therefore the underside could be the wedding licence.
The complete document (Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be directed at the wedding officiant which is doing your marriage. This will be a appropriate document and needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate in the place of a wedding licence.
There are not any residency or citizenship needs.
There is absolutely no right time frame that has to pass involving the date a couple comes in Alberta as well as the date a married relationship licence is released.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A wedding press this link licence is legitimate for a few months through the date it really is granted.
A marriage might take position the day that is same wedding licence is released. There isn’t any time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek advice from a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal, and the total names and delivery places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting married is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched can be an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you must certanly be 18 yrs. Old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Talk to a registry representative for complete details.
If you’re more youthful than 16 years old, you can not marry in Alberta.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if one of many few don’t have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be among the after:
- Evidence of divorce or separation is necessary; the divorce document supplied should be the last document (for instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X timeframe is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or even the divorce or separation ended up being contested through that time.
- Breakup documents which are not in English must certanly be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation demands.
- A death certification of this spouse that is deceased perhaps not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be awarded through a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back again to exactly exactly exactly what it had been before that annulled wedding took destination. The earlier status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- As soon as the marital status before the annulment is divorced, proof of divorce proceedings should be supplied as well as a duplicate regarding the court ordered annulment
- When the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is required
Whenever a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate for the court ordered annulment needs to be supplied. Religious and tribunal annulments are perhaps maybe not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English should be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation needs.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, each associated with people who can be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. When an interpreter is necessary, it really is your obligation to present one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 years old or older
- Proficient both in English therefore the language translation that is requiring
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative worker may function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few obtaining a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There clearly was a $40 federal federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution fee. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
How exactly to apply
Step one. Make sure you meet the criteria to try to get a wedding licence
The wedding needs to be happening in Alberta over the following a few months.
Before using, make certain you along with your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Simply take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be needed, such as for example breakup papers. Contact a registry representative, they could confirm just what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative together with your intended spouse, appropriate ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
When you use
A married relationship licence is given whilst you wait.
Should you not have got most of the information and papers required, the method will likely be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever you receive it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have errors corrected straight away.
Ahead of the ceremony occurs, mistakes may be corrected by way of a registry representative.
Following the ceremony takes place, mistakes should be corrected by an amendment.
The marriage officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied as soon as the wedding licence ended up being released.
Relate genuinely to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5